AS OF 9/22/05 THIS BLOG WILL NO LONGER BE ACTIVE. YOU CAN VISIT ANDY'S NEW BLOG AT THE KILTED LIBERAL

Monday, August 09, 2004

Some Thoughts on Kneeling to Pray

There is something about kneeling to pray. When I entered Alcoholics Anonymous, I was initially not going to pray. When I did start to pray, I did it standing because I was not going to kneel. No way. Praying felt stupid and awkward to me, there was kind of an empty echo in the room and I did not really know what to say. I also really did not know what I was praying to.

At some point I decided to kneel. I do not remember why. Something motivated me to do that, I’m not sure what. My wife, Lisa, and I lived in a crummy townhouse at the time and my first impression from kneeling was that my knees hurt because the concrete was right under the carpet. I also recall that I kind of felt that kneeling to pray was a very Christian thing to do and I wanted nothing to do with anything that involved Christians.

One of those pads for gardeners to kneel on was very helpful. My knees learned gratitude before I did.

But it was on my knees that I first started to sense that I was not speaking into empty, uncaring air. There was no revelation, no burning bush. I simply had a sensation that I was no longer alone. At first that feeling was quite spooky, and I could feel the hairs on my neck rise and the goosebumps on my arms. Then it become comforting.

Lisa and I were not getting along so well early in my sobriety. She was very angry at the things I had done and that she had not done. I was furious with her; couldn’t she see how tough my life was? I felt very alone, and the time spent on my knees each morning was precious to me because I did not feel so alone at those moments.

Starting each day on my knees, asking for the gift of sobriety for one more day, asking that I be given a chance to be of service, these things set the tone for the day. I am not able to do this on my own. I need help and that help must come from some source outside of myself; something more powerful than me.

It has been about three years since I started kneeling to pray. I can tell you that now that things are calm, now that I do not feel so very alone, sometimes, in fact, more often that not, I don’t feel that special “I am not alone” feeling when I kneel to pray. It’s not that the Goddess is not there.

I think some of that is my attitude. The more casual prayer becomes, the less focused on it I am, the less likely I am to feel Her presence.

Some of that comes from the fact that the feeling of a Presence is a subtle feeling and is easily lost among the clamors of the world around me and the distractions within my own mind.

She’s there though. When I least expect it, She reminds me. Most of the time it is a pleasant experience: “Oh! That was the Goddess!” Sometimes, it is pretty harsh. That usually happens when I am wrapped up in my selfish wants, needs and desires. That is not the result of Her punishing me. The discomfort comes from deliberately walking into a wall She has built.

I don’t really much care if kneeling is a Christian thing anymore. It’s an Andy thing now, and it is all about starting the day knowing that I am powerless, but that I have access to the power.

I’m really a blessed person. I don’t always appreciate it, but I am.
|